Over 700 products in 70 countries have been SUGARWISE certified. A selection of these are displayed … Read more
Sugarwise is the international authority for sugar related claims, with more than 500 products certified, that are shipping in 70 countries across Europe, Australia, Canada, the US, China, and the Middle East.
The SUGARWISE marque is the trusted and recognised sign guaranteeing that any sugar related claims have been independently verified, and that a product or menu item is low in any of the sugars or sweeteners people need to limit, referencing World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines.
As the only international certification body for sugar related claims, Sugarwise assesses the following claims: sugar free, low sugar, no added sugar, reduced sugar, low calorie, calorie free and reduced carb.
Along with being able to carry a sugar related claim, all certified products must be low in “free sugars”. This means they must have no more than 5g of free sugars in 100g if a food, and no more than 2.5g in 100ml if a beverage.
SUGARWISE certification is available across the 28 member states of the European Union, Switzerland, Russia, Turkey, the United States, Mexico, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
As well as operating the certification, Sugarwise advocates, educates and campaigns to increase the availability, visibility and demand for options low in free sugars, and brings stakeholders and members together in Sugar Summits held in the EU and UK Parliaments.
People are becoming more and more interested in sugar and healthy eating throughout Europe and beyond. The label enables manufacturers, retailers and food service to appeal to the growing number of sugar-conscious consumers.
- 53% of Europeans would be likely to consider switching from their current brand if a product bears a sugar related claim 
- 70% of European consumers believe front of pack certified claims influence their purchasing behaviour 
- 24% of consumers would switch retailer to buy SUGARWISE certified food or drink 
- 86% of people who have never seen the SUGARWISE logo before say they would be more inclined to buy products that carry the logo front of pack or on a menu 
- 80% of people who have never seen the SUGARWISE logo before understand what the logo means when they see the logo on front of pack or on a menu 
 Eurostat, Overweight and obesity – BMI statistics
 Ingredion, 2013, Consumer Research by MMR Research Worldwide
 Research Engine, 2016, Tracking the Sugarwise Marque: A Market Research Report for the Food and Drink Industry