The Sugar Summit brings together different stakeholders, from government, to charities, manufacturers, retailers, and others sharing a joint purpose to improve the food environment by ensuring that policy and action is consistent with opening up choices low in free sugars.
The Sugar Summit in Brussels: European Parliament
September 6th 2017 – Register Here:
– Alex Mayer MEP, European Parliament
- Stephanie Bodenbach – European Commission: Health and Consumers Directorate General Nutrition, Food Information and Labelling
- Stephen Pugh, Head of Food Labelling at Defra, responsible for the UK’s input into the European Union’s Regulation on the Provision of Food Information to Consumers (FIC) as well as taking forward other food labelling initiatives in England. Represented the UK at the Codex Alimentarius on Food Labelling.
- Dr Jim Painter, SUN-MAID Nutritional Adviser – Professor of Public Health at the University of Texas, Advisor to the United States Dairy Council, Bush’s Beans, Tree Top Apples and Chick-fil-A, and Professor Emeritus at Eastern Illinois University.
- Sven Algoet, SWEET-SWITCH – Sven founded SWEET-SWITCH on a mission to build the largest range of healthy & delicious chocolate, spreads & confectionery in the world. Inspired by his daughter to create healthier alternatives to treat foods. The first Belgian company to apply for certification of all his products
- Rend Platings founded Sugarwise due to concerns about excess sugar consumption for her daughter. Her idea was for a recognisable mark that would identify products low in free sugars. A former Diplomat and consultant to TRADOC and the Westpoint Military Academy. Through Sugarwise, Rend hopes to improve food labelling by making lower sugar alternatives more visible and available to the public.
The Sugar Summit in London: UK Parliament
September 13th 2017 – Register Here:
Chair: Rt Hon Keith Vaz – Member of Parliament
Dr David Unwin, General Practitioner – Norwood Surgery
Lord Clive Brooke, Baron of Alverthorpe – House of Lords
Dr Aseem Malhotra, Cardiologist
Annie O’Leary, Editor in Chief – Netmums
Dr Giles Yeo, Principal Research Associate – University of Cambridge
Rend Platings, Chief Executive – Sugarwise