What does the Sugarwise logo mean whenever it appears on products?
Whenever you see the Sugarwise logo on a product you can be assured it has undergone stringent testing and is low in free sugars. The Sugarwise tests, developed by Cambridge University and Caltech scientists, verifies the amount of free sugar and total sugar in a product independently of manufacturers’ claims.
What are the claims that Sugarwise certify?
Products certified as Sugarwise must fit into one of the below certification classes. For countries outside the European Union, United States, Australia or Canada, please request individual country guidance.
Localisation is achieved via the claims boxes, as per the below examples.
||No added sugar|
||Naturally no added sugar|
|Low energy or
Low Free Sugars Requirement for all Four Sugar Claims:
- No more than 5g free sugars in 100g food. The product should also be able to carry a sugar or a calorie claim.
- No more than 2.5g free sugars in 100ml beverage. The product should also be able to carry a sugar or a calorie claim.
- Drinks that are over 1.2% alcohol strength by volume (ABV)
- Products that are over 1% alcohol by weight
- Products that contain added nicotine
- Products containing trans-fats
- Products containing additives harmful to human consumption*
*Sugarwise maintains and continually updates an evidence-based list of guidelines regarding harmful additives, referencing EFSA, WHO and other competent authorities
The calorie and naturally claim proposals are undergoing a review. The Sugarwise Standards and Guidelines are also undergoing review by competent parties. To contribute your expertise or to attend the next BSI hosted meeting to further develop the Sugarwise Standards please contact us here.
What are the costs of the certification?
The price of the certification is made up of a one-off test cost and an annual licence fee.1
The one-off test costs are as follows:
|Number of products tested 2||Test cost|
The annual licence fees are based on net purchase value of certified goods. This is calculated as follows:
|Band||Net annual sales on certified products||Annual Sugarwise licence fee charge|
|B||> £6,000 < £5,000,000||0.34%|
|C||> £5,000,000 < £10,000,000||0.32%|
|D||> £10,000,000 < £20,000,000||0.26%|
|E||> £20,000,000 < £40,000,000||0.18%|
|F||> £40,000,000 < £80,000,000||0.12%|
|G||> £80,000,000 < £160,000,000||0.08%|
1 The testing fee will be charged in the first year for each certified product to cover the cost of test administration. In following years, only a licence fee will be charged, and will cover the cost of spot checking products. These prices are excluding VAT at 20%.
2 Different SKU’s of the same product do not need to be tested individually. To limit testing costs, we will ask you to send three each of each of your available SKU’s of which we will test one. Different flavours are considered different products and are tested separately.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for informational purposes only and is subject to change without notice.
- An official certificate of test results including statement of free sugars and which claims may then be used on packaging with the Sugarwise marque
- Licence to use the Sugarwise marque on packaging, on website and in own marketing materials
- Membership of the Sugarwise community and inclusion in Sugarwise’s marketing materials
- A listing on our website and on our partnered apps (such as the Food Maestro app)
- Brand presence at Sugarwise events and conferences: over the last year our brands have been featured at The Allergy and Free-From Show, Food Matters Live, and the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Diabetes summit in Manchester, among others
- Invitation to participate in Sugarwise events, such as our second Parliamentary Sugar Summit in March
- At least one social media post to announce certification, in addition to an announcement at the Parliamentary Sugar Summit and in our quarterly newsletter which is released to all major media
- Discounts at trade shows and other events
- Introductions and referrals as requested and appropriate
- Use of Sugarwise’s policy and public affairs team and inclusion in our own lobbying efforts, such as our current campaign to reduce VAT on Sugarwise accredited products from 20% to 5%
A step-by-step process
- Email email@example.com with the details of the products so that we can assess their suitability.
- An agreement and price quote will be issued.
- Once the agreement is signed, send your products in triplicate to Sugarwise, 5 Signet Court, Swann Road, Cambridge, CB5 8LA, United Kingdom
- Once we have received payment and issued an official receipt of the samples, the products will be sent off to our labs for testing.
- The test results will return to us and we’ll finalise the results and the certification.
- We will send you certificate along with the graphics of the logo and claim for use on packaging.
- Welcome to the Sugarwise family!