Products certified as SUGARWISE must fit into one of the below certification classes. For countries outside the European Union, United States, Australia or Canada, please request individual country guidance. Localisation is achieved via the claims boxes, as per the below examples.
||No added sugar|
||Naturally no added sugar|
||Low energy or
- The 0 teaspoons logo can be used alongside the SUGARWISE mark and the sugar related claim being certified.
- The 0 teaspoons logo is another way of saying or expressing “no added sugar”.
- In the below example both the low sugar and no added sugar claims have been certified by Sugarwise, the SUGARWISE logo is used, along with the Certified low sugar box option and the teaspoons option. Artwork that can be used alongside the logo will be sent with the certificate.
Certified Reduced Carbs
- Must have 30% less carbohydrate than a similar product.
- Must also have no more than 10g of carbohydrates in 100g of product where a product carries the reduced carbs claim and the SUGARWISE label.
Low Free Sugars Requirement for all Four Sugar Claims:
- No more than 5g free sugars in 100g food. The product should also be able to carry a sugar or a calorie claim.
- No more than 2.5g free sugars in 100ml beverage. The product should also be able to carry a sugar or a calorie claim.
- Drinks that are over 1.2% alcohol strength by volume (ABV)
- Products that are over 1% alcohol by weight
- Products that contain added nicotine
- Products containing trans-fats
- Products containing additives harmful to human consumption*
*Sugarwise maintains and continually updates an evidence-based list of guidelines regarding harmful additives, referencing EFSA, WHO and other competent authorities
The Sugarwise Standards and Guidelines are always undergoing review by competent parties. To contribute your expertise or to attend the next BSI hosted meeting to further develop the Sugarwise Standards please contact us here.